Progress – 4th June (Run out of creative titles…)

I’ve started uploading my changes to Subversion repository on Sourceforge ( You can browse with the web interface. Any comment appreciated anytime. If you spotted a mistake, you can point it out for me. If it’s obvious and small one, you could even just fix it on the svn repository (though it doesn’t make sense till later date when I actually start making code work, and you need to be one of hugin project developers in order to commit something anyway).

I told my mentors that I made a lot changes to the directory structure. They let me just through the new structure in, even though it would break all the continuity in files histories etc. I think I’ll have to come back to that step later and reproduce all the file moving with svn command when before merging the changes. It’s gonna be a bit of headache, but it shouldn’t take too long (say, a day or two) once I get used to subversion.

I’m cleaning up the code at the moment. It’s quite hard to clean things up keeping the related code as same as possible. If I change the name of method, it’s likely to affect the entire library. I have to be careful not to break the current code, but still have to do so when necessary. The functions/methods shouldn’t be there if it shouldn’t be there. I’ll see how I can keep the internal dependancy so I need minimum changes to accomplish the clean API. (As oppose to the foundation internal code, the current hugin GUI code can easily adapt the change with some wrapper code with the help of namespace distinction I will make.)


2 Responses to Progress – 4th June (Run out of creative titles…)

  1. Thorben says:

    Hello 🙂
    I’m following your “rewrite” of the Hugin GUI with interest.

    One suggestion: If you’re going to do lots of moving around, merging/splitting files etc. it might be a good idea to switch your version control system to git ( (Import old SVN history first).

    It will track all code changes, even moving a function from one file to another.

    It also allows easy use of branches, which might be helpful if you’re constantly breaking stuff 😉

    Good luck with your project!

  2. Ippei says:


    It could have been a possibility. There are two problems though. Switch to subversion is the project-wide thing, has little to do with Summer of Code. It’s simply that SourceForge has CVS and SVN, and we thought subversion is nicer. The other problem is that I’m comfortable with svn now, so for writing code at least doesn’t make sense to switch now. Of course, in the future we might think we should have done otherwise, but I don’t worry too much about that for now.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: