About “Valley”

It seems I wrote very stupid thing about “valley” few days ago…

Today, I wondered what “valley” exactly means in English, and found it is quite different from the Japanese word. The Japanese word, “谷 ( tani [tɑɲi] )” is much closer to ravine, gorge, canyon gully etc., and does not simply mean “an area of low land between hills or mountains” or “the land that river flows through”(OALD) in English.

The highest place (mountain) in England is just below 1000m above sea level. How flat this country is…


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: